Portugal, Spain & The Douro River with Uniworld River Cruise
This Uniworld River Cruise is an extraordinary journey designed for culturally curious travellers, with a highlight hotel stay in Lisbon. Following the Douro River through Portugal and into Spain, you’ll cruise past steeply terraced hillsides, quaint villages and acres of ripe vineyards. Enjoy private tastings of Port and explore Porto’s historic Ribeira district, home to iconic rabelo boats, cutting-edge cuisine and a thriving art scene.
Wind your way through the dramatic landscapes of the UNESCO-designated Douro Valley, heading ashore to visit charming quintas and meet the winemakers who operate them. In Salamanca, Spain, you’ll see the city’s famous university. Return to Portugal with a visit to the fortified village of Castelo Rodrigo and historic Guimarães. Your journey ends in Lisbon, the city that launched some of the world’s most renowned explorers. There’s no better way to discover Europe’s best-kept secret than this scenic and all-inclusive river cruise!
View the full itinerary for this Europe River Cruise with Uniworld below along with specific inclusions.
- 8 days of excursions, including “Choice Is Yours” options, all fully hosted by English-speaking local experts
- Guided “Do as the Locals Do” program
- State-of-the-art Quietvox portable audio-headset system on all excursions
- All meals onboard, prepared using the finest and freshest ingredients
- 10 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 dinners
- Welcome and Farewell Dinners
- Unlimited beverages onboard, including fine wine, beer, spirits, specialty coffee and tea, soft drinks and mineral water
- 7-night cruise in a riverview stateroom on the chic S.S. São Gabriel
- 3 nights in Lisbon at the Tivoli Avenida Liberdade (or similar) with breakfast
- Beautifully appointed riverview staterooms and suites with hotel-style beds, draped in fine linens with a choice of pillows
- Free Internet and Wi-Fi access
- 2 countries: Spain and Portugal
- 6 UNESCO World Heritage sites
- Services of an experienced Uniworld Cruise Manager
- Group Transfers are included on arrival and departure days (please see terms and conditions for transfer guidelines)
- Gratuities for onboard personnel (ship staff, crew, Cruise/Tour Manager) are included during the cruise/tour
- Captivating onboard local entertainment
- Cultural enrichment
DAY 1: PORTO (EMBARK)
Arrive in Porto, the port city at the mouth of the Douro.
Note: For Arrival, Departure and Transfer details, please visit Uniworld.com/transfers. For Port Location details, please visit Uniworld.com/ports.
DAY 2: PORTO, ENTRE-OS-RIOS
Portugal’s second city (after Lisbon), Porto gave its name to the nation’s most famous export, Port wine, and to the nation itself. Today, choose to explore Portugal on foot or by panoramic drive.
In the evening, a special Captain’s Welcome Reception and Dinner will be prepared for you.
DAY 3: ENTRE-OS-RIOS, RÉGUA
Today is all about wine, which has been cultivated in the Douro River Valley since ancient Roman times. Get a crash course on the history of Port during your visit to the Douro Museum.
DAY 4: RÉGUA, POCINHO, VEGA DE TERRÓN
Go medieval today at Castelo Rodrigo, both the name of a hilltop castle as well as the village that surrounds it. The view from the top is incredible and the village is a charming place to ramble, relax and replenish. Alternatively, lace up your hiking boots and unleash your inner Indiana Jones with an up-close gander at some prehistoric carvings at an archaeological park.
DAY 5: VEGA DE TERRÓN (SALAMANCA), BARCA D’ALVA
Today, you can visit the historic university town of Salamanca—the “Golden City”—famous for its sand-colored buildings and abundance of churches. Feel the centuries fall away as your ship winds its way through the pristine, dramatic UNESCO-protected landscapes of the Douro River Valley.
DAY 6: BARCA D’ALVA, RÉGUA
Head ashore for a choice of excursions, including a tasting at a prestigious Port wine estate or a vineyard hike with a wine tasting at a local quinta.
DAY 7: RÉGUA (GUIMARÃES), PORTO
Explore Guimarães, the town where Portugal was born. Its well-preserved architecture and stylish young residents make it a pleasure to visit.
In the evening, a special Captain’s Farewell Reception and Dinner will be prepared for you.
DAY 8: PORTO (DISEMBARK), TRANSFER TO LISBON
Disembark the ship and board a motorcoach, heading south through Portugal’s picturesque countryside to Lisbon where you will check in to your hotel.
DAY 9: LISBON
Everything old is new again in the Portuguese capital. Get to know this hilly metropolis with a city tour that shows you all the top sights and treats you to an iconic, locally made pastry.
DAY 10: LISBON
Experience your own “Age of Discovery” with a full day to explore Lisbon however you wish. The city hosts remarkable museums and excellent shopping, and natives of Lisbon boast that they have the best food in the world.
DAY 11: LISBON (DEPART)
If your cruise/tour package includes a group departure transfer or if you have purchased a private departure transfer, you will be transferred to Lisbon Portela Airport for your flight home.
Sailing by river means enjoying all the convenience of a traditional cruise, along with all the benefits of land travel. Stopping in multiple destinations on every trip, you'll visit bustling cities and hidden gem villages, unpacking only once. River Cruising is the best way to cruise, and the best and most luxurious river cruises are with Uniworld.
ONE-OF-A-KIND BOUTIQUE SHIPS
One of the highlights of your river cruise will be the ship you sail on. Each of the Uniworld one-of-a-kind ships is like a floating boutique hotel; designed to immerse you in the destination and fully equipped with luxurious amenities, beautiful public spaces and multiple dining venues throughout.
There’s all-inclusive, and then there’s the unmatched level of inclusive luxurious amenities that only Uniworld provide. To ensure truly carefree and effortless travel, they gone ahead and included it all–so the only thing you have to do is sit back, relax and enjoy your vacation. Everything you could ever need is included with Uniworld. From your meals to premium drinks, a host of onboard wellness opportunities, plus your daily shore excursions, they have even included the onboard gratuities.
INTIMATE & RELAXING EXPERIENCE
Compared to ocean cruising, a river cruise is smaller and therefore offers guests a far more intimate experience. With an average of just 120 guests onboard, you can get to know your fellow travellers and also receive better access to the incredible staff onboard.
By it's nature, cruising along rivers allows you to travel directly through the heart of countries, giving you access to some of the worlds greatest cities right outside your window. You'll travel to multiple destinations with ease, only unpacking once.
IMMERSIVE TRAVEL EXPERIENCES
Uniworld have selected culturally immersive experiences on every journey. These range from early access to the world's greatest landmarks such as the Taj Mahal, private after-hours visits to St. Mark's Basilica or receiving a breathtaking water blessing from a Cambodian Monk.
CONNECT & STAY CONNECTED
Unencumbered by large crowds, you'll effortlessly meet people who share your passion for travel and exploration, while staying connected with loved one's back home with complimentary shipwide Wi-Fi.
YOUR SPAIN, PORTUGAL AND DUORO RIVER CRUISE SHIP:
S.S. São Gabriel is the newest ship on the Douro river. Designed to embody the beautiful Douro River Valley region, this ship will offer more lavishly appointed suites than the Queen Isabel and bring the destination to life through its décor and delectable food and wine. Butler service will be added onboard, giving guests the option to dine at any time they’d like while enjoying the ship.
Booking Terms & Conditions
From Price based on 31 March 2024 Sailing in Classic Cabin
- All fares are per guest in Australian dollars based on double occupancy unless otherwise noted.
- Fares are capacity controlled and are subject to change at any time without notice.
- Availability of all stateroom categories cannot be guaranteed.
- Single Supplement applies for single accommodation.
- Itineraries, hotels, and vessels may change, and substitute visits to other sites may occur during your trip due to water level fluctuations and other uncontrollable factors.
- The order of sightseeing and docking ports are subject to change according to port authority assignments.